This guide is for everyone, whether in a new relationship or an established one.
1. Just met, you like her but it’s very new.
Get something you know she likes from a shop you know she goes to. You are not expected at this phase to buy “the perfect” gift, just one that shows you have at least been paying a little attention. Also if you get it wrong she can return it and get something she likes better at her favorite shop. You must get a card, something cute and funny will do.
A simple “Wishing you a happy fill in the holiday.”
Signing the card:
I am (so) _______ (glad) we met, Bob
Looking forward to getting to know you better, Bob
Hugs and kisses, Bob
2. New relationship 3-6 months, you are exclusive (you really like her)
This gift should show some thought, because it is probably the first fill in the holiday you are spending together. Again, pay attention to things she sees or mentions while you are shopping or ask one of her friends if you have access to them. It may be an accessory item, a handbag, scarf or silver jewelry with a stone or charm she likes or has special meaning to her. She will really think it sweet if you remember something she mentioned or saw while you were together. If all else fails these are the gifts that most women would like this season:
- Princess perfume by Vera Wang, classy and you will like it too. – Pretty necklaces and bracelets with semi-precious stones are totally in style and ones with a message that is personal to you/her is thoughtful. Sold in many mall shops.
- A spa/massage treatment is always a great gift, thoughtful and shows you care how hard she works. Popular spa’s are Bliss Spa, Sephora, Ulta offer spa treatments. Look up local spa’s they usually run specials for Valentine’s Day.
- Victoria’s Secret is a favorite but you can get more creative than that, right guys?
– Write at least a paragraph about how you feel about her, how she makes you feel or whatever you are feeling at the time.
– This is the time to be vulnerable but if you are not ready to say “Love” you don’t have to.
Signing the card:
You mean so much to me, Bob
So glad to be spending this fill in the holiday with you, Bob
Looking forward to more happy times with you, Bob
You are in my heart today and everyday, Bob
3. 6-12 months, you are either in love, falling in love or already declared your love.
– A weekend getaway is ideal. Bed and Breakfasts, Hotels and Ski Resorts have last-minute deals, but there is nothing like pre-planning.
– Pamper her with a romantic dinner and run a tub or hot tub if you can arrange it. Bring flowers and candy too, it decorates the room and makes it special. – Maybe a CD of music for a romantic evening. This is the perfect time to seal the deal guys; it’s fill in the holiday and BECAUSE it is corny and cheesy tell her you love her. Secretly we love cheesy and sappy during the holidays if we are in love.
- Jewelry is a safe bet here.
- Also you can bridge the “I am falling in love with you,” if you have not reached it just yet, (or if you are a wimp because nobody “thinks” they feel love for someone, this is one you KNOW.) but whatever, go at your own pace.
Spill it. You love this woman and you want to keep her indefinitely. A full paragraph with your heart racing with nervousness is what I am talking about. Trust me, the pay off will be worth it. If this is where you are with a woman showing it during the holidays is the only way to go. Even if she says she doesn’t care, DO NOT LISTEN. Just say it, most of us are not Shakespeare, women know, they don’t care how you say it, just that you do, and in this case write it too.
Signing the card:
All my love, Bob
Love you, Bob (playful)
I love you with all my heart, Bob (serious)
Oh I forgot, I wanted to tell you that I love you, Bob
I love you and want you to be my wife, Bob (Just in case)
Whatever you do this fill in the holiday with your new babe or your fiancé, have fun, laugh as much as you can, and let love in. Try not to let the stress that always seems to accompany the big days get in the way of your enjoyment. Remember, many fights around this time are due to circumstances beyond your control: i.e. planning, travelling, and just the anticipation that the holidays will work out perfect. This is not the case and is quite rare, so be prepared for some hairy moments and always try to keep a sense of humor.
Please feel free to ask questions if there is something I missed and/or you have a unique situation that does not fit into these three headings. I will be glad to help you get this fill in the holiday right.
Check out another take on gift giving during our troubled economic times here. A lot of great info to be found there.
Copyright ©2008 Veronica Romm